Work at OSU
12. Bjornen, K.*, Carlton, M.*, & Mutambuki, J.* (2022). Disciplinary data literacy: Expanding on what instructors already teach. In J. Bauder (Ed). Research Data Management. The American Library Association, ISBN: 978-0-8389-3797-6, pp. 57-72, https://www.alastore.ala.org/trdm.
11. Caroline Z. Muteti, Carolina Zarraga, Brooke I. Jacob, Tuli M. Mwarumba, Dorothy B. Nkhata, Mwarumba Mwavita, Smita Mohanty, Jacinta M. Mutambuki.* I realized what I was doing was not working: the influence of explicit teaching of metacognition on students’ study strategies in a general chemistry I course. Royal Society of Chemistry, Chemistry Education Research and Practice, 2021, 22(1), 122-135, DOI: 10.1039/d0rp00217h. Featured on the RSC News, ‘Making study time count’: https://edu.rsc.org/education-research/this-is-why-you-should-teach-metacognition-explicitly/4012761.article#!divAbstract.
10. Jacinta M. Mutambuki,* Mwarumba Mwavita, Caroline Z. Muteti, Brooke Jacob, and Smita Mohanty. Metacognition and Active Learning Combination Reveals Better Performance on Cognitively Demanding General Chemistry Concepts than Active Learning Alone. ACS, Journal of Chemical Education, 2020, 97(7)1832–1840, https://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jchemed.0c00254. Featured on the Chemical &Engineering News (c&en), ‘HELPING STUDENTS THRIVE’: https://cen.acs.org/education/undergraduate-education/Weeding-inequity-undergraduate-chemistry-classes/98/i34.
Prior Work Published While at OSU
9. Mutambuki, J.M., Frey, R.F., Leonard,D.A. Features of an Effective Future Faculty Teaching-Development Program: A Case Study of 10 STEM Faculty. J. College Science Teaching, March/April 2020, 49(4):58-65. https://www.nsta.org/journal-college-science-teaching/journal-college-science-teaching-marchapril-2020/features.
8. Jacinta M. Mutambuki*, Herb Fynewever, William W. Cobern, Kevin Douglass, Sherine Obare. Integrating Authentic Research Experiences into the Quantitative Analysis Chemistry Laboratory Curriculum: Student Self-Reported Perceptions and Experiences. ACS J. Chem. Educ. 2019, 96(8) 1591-1599, (Featured Supplementary Journal Cover) https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.jchemed.8b00902.
Work Published Prior to OSU
7. Solomon, E. D., Repice, M. D., Mutambuki, J.M., Leonard, D. A., Cohen, C. A., Luo, J., & Frey, R. F. (2018). A Mixed-Methods Investigation of Clicker Implementation Styles in STEM. CBE Life Sci Educ. 2018 Jun; 17(2):ar30. doi:10.1187/cbe.17-08-018, https://www.lifescied.org/doi/10.1187/cbe.17-08-0180.
6. Jacinta M. Mutambuki* and Renee Schwartz. (2018). We Don’t Get Any Training: The Impact of a Professional Development Model on Teaching Practices of Chemistry and Biology Graduate Teaching Assistants. Journal of Chemistry Education Research and Practice, 19, 106. https://doi.org/10.1039/C7RP00133A.
5. Frey, R. F., Fisher, B.A., Solomon, E.D., Leonard, D.A., Mutambuki, J.M., Cohen, C.A., Luo, J., & Pondugula, S. (2016). A visual approach to helping instructors integrate, document, and refine active learning. Journal of College Science Teaching, 45(5), 20-26.
4. Mutambuki, J.M.*, Integrating Nanotechnology into the Undergraduate Chemistry Curriculum: The Impact on Students’ Affective Domain (2014). Dissertations. 287. http://scholarworks.wmich.edu/dissertations/287.
3. Lloyd M. Mataka, William W. Cobern, Megan L. Grunert, Jacinta M. Mutambuki, George Akom. (2014). The effect of a general explicit problem-solving on pre-service elementary teachers’ ability to solve heat transfer problem. International Journal of Education in Mathematics, Science and Technology, 2(3), 164-174.
2. Heather L. Petcovic, Herb Fynewever, Charles Henderson, Jacinta M. Mutambuki, and Jeffrey A. Barney. (2013). Faculty Grading of Quantitative Problems: A Mismatch between Values and Practice. Research in Science Education, 43(2), 437-455.
1. Mutambuki, J., & Fynewever, H., Comparing Chemistry Faculty Beliefs about Grading with Grading Practices. ACS J.Chem. Educ. 2012, 89(3), 326-334.